The Little Milk Company Blue Cheese, Butternut & Barley Salad with Maple Walnuts
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks, seeds reserved
- 2 red onions, each cut into quarters
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and bashed
- 3 ½ tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Handful of thyme sprigs, leave stripped, plus extra to garnish
- 300g pearl barley
- 50g walnuts
- 1 ½ tbsp. of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- ½ tsp of chilli flakes
- 2 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 100g baby spinach, shredded
- 140g of The Little Milk Company Blue Cheese, thinly sliced.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Toss the squash, onions and garlic with 2 tbsp. of the oil and some seasoning. Roast for 35-45 mins or until the vegetables crisp up in places – turning halfway through cooking and adding the thyme leaves.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, discarding the garlic.
- Cook the barley, following pack instructions, until al dente. Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, rinse the squash seeds, removing any flesh and dry thoroughly.
- Place the walnuts and squash seeds in a frying pan and toast until golden brown. Add ½ tbsp. of olive oil, the maple syrup, the brown sugar, the chilli flakes and some salt to the walnuts and squash seed mixture. Leave to bubble for a few minutes and until the sugar has caramelised.
- Tip onto a tray and allow to cool. Once cooled bash the mixture into pieces.
- Make a dressing by mixing the balsamic vinegar, the Dijon mustard, the remaining oil and some seasoning.
- Toss the squash and onions through the barley, followed by the spinach and the dressing.
- Scatter over The Little Milk Company Blue Cheese, the walnuts and some of the extra thyme sprigs to serve.