Pancakes with Mushrooms, Bacon & (most importantly 😉 Cheese Filling.
HEALTH BENEFITS: Mushrooms are rich in the B vitamins: riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. The combination helps protect heart health. Riboflavin is good for red blood cells. Niacin is good for the digestive system and for maintaining healthy skin. Our cheese is full of wonderful Calcium and protein.
Makes 8 pancakes.
Ingredients for Pancakes
1 large free-range egg
1 cup of self-raising flour
1 cup of milk
Pinch of salt
Teaspoon of sunflower oil
Ingredients for Filling:
10 Mushrooms, sliced and sauteed
2 tomatoes diced
Cheddar Cheese, grated (lots!)
Chopped fresh Chives to garnish
1. To make the batter, crack the egg into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the flour, milk and a tiny pinch of sea salt and sunflower oil.
3. Whisk everything together until you have a lovely, smooth batter.
4. Put aside and cook the filling.
5. Heat a pan with some butter and oil, sauté the mushrooms. Add some cream, approx. 100ml. Then add the diced tomatoes and diced cooked bacon. Take off the heat.
Cooking the Pancakes:
6. Put a large frying pan on a medium heat and after a minute or so, add ½ tablespoon of oil *(sunflower or Irish rapeseed oil works well as it gets really hot). Tilt the pan to spread the oil out.
7. Add a ladle of batter to the pan, and tilt to spread out.
8. Cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes, or until little bubbles appear on the surface and the bases are golden, then use a fish slice to carefully flip them over.
9. When the pancakes are golden on both sides, use a fish slice to transfer the pancakes to a warm plate. (To keep warm put on a warmed plate over a bowl of boiling water with a tea towel on top).
10. Fill the pancake and sprinkle with plenty of grated cheddar on top, garnish with chives. Serve with rocket salad. YUM!